Status
Not open for further replies.

Nooby

Registered
Reaction score
Hey NulledTeam i am having a few problems with permissions, I ain't familiar with how to use them. I can't post threads in say announcements forum,i have to go to my ACP and enable messages to be posted can i have an in-depth tutorial on how to fix this :)

~ Nooby

L

LooK

Permission Value Priority
Each permission may be set to a different value. If a user is in multiple groups or has specific permissions set, this may cause multiple conflicting values for a permission. For example, a user may have both not set (no) and allow for the view node permission, so what takes priority?
Permission value priority is set in this order: (highest priority first)

Never – this will not grant the permission. This can never be overridden, so should be used sparingly.
Allow – this will grant the permission.
Not Set (No) – this will not grant the permission. This is the lowest priority value; any explicit allow will override this.
Thus, if a user has not set (no) and allow for a permission, the final value will be allow. The Test Permissions system can help confirm that permissions are set correctly.
Note that the permission terminology is slightly different for node permissions.
Additive Permissions with Multiple User Groups
Forums generally have multiple classes of users, such as regular users, moderators, and administrators. Larger forums may have more classes, including premium users and other distinctions. Keeping track of permissions can be very challenging, so it is important to have a standard approach to laying out your permissions.
A key approach in managing complex permissions is to use multiple user groups to build up permissions for users with higher privileges.
Let’s consider the concept of a premium user. This user has all of the abilities of a regular user, but also has access to a few special permissions. This directs us to having these two user groups:
Registered – this is a default group; it’s where newly registered users group.
Premium – this is a custom group that we’ll create to give the extra permissions.
For this setup to work, we need to ensure that the registered group does not use permission values of never, as it cannot be overridden.
When the premium user group is created, it starts with no permissions (all not set (no)). However, because the user will be in the premium group and the registered group, he or she will inherit all of registered user permissions. Thus, in the premium group, we only need to set the permissions (to allow) that we want to add.
The same concept can be used to give a specific group access to a special forum.
Node Permissions
In addition to specifying permissions for user groups and users, you may specify permissions on specific nodes. Like before, these can be applied to user groups and users.
Node Permission Terminology and Priority
Node permissions follow a similar concept to user group and user permissions, but the terminology is a bit different. The permission value priority is: (highest priority first)
Never – this does not grant the permission and cannot be overridden.
Allow – this grants the permission.
Revoke – this does not grant the permission, but can be overridden.
Inherit – this takes the value from the parent. See below.
A value of never cannot be overridden, even in a child node. Use it sparingly.
The inherit value causes the value for that permission to be inherited from the parent node. If there is no parent node, then the value will come from the user group and user permissions.
Private Nodes
When setting the permissions for a node, you have the option to mark it as private. This means that no one will have access to the forum, unless they are explicitly given the view node permission by setting the value to allow.
For example, to make a forum for admins and moderators, you would mark the forum as private and then allow the view node permission for the administrative and moderating user groups.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LooK

Administrators are specially privileged users that have permission to access the XenForo Administrator Control Panel (ACP).
Any user can be promoted to administrator status by clicking the Create New Administrator button in the Administrators panel of the control panel and entering their name into the box provided.
The system will suggest usernames as you type to assist you in finding the user you want.
Note: A XenForo administrator has privileges to access systems within the ACP, and is not necessarily a moderator. If you need a user to be able to perform privileged duties in the ACP and the public-facing side of the application, you will need to set up that user as a moderator as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LooK

User Group Assignments
Administrators do not have any specific permissions for the public-facing side of the application, but they can have front-end permissions granted by adding them to user groups that have the required permissions.
You may select any groups to which you want your administrators to be assigned on the Create New Administrator page.

L

LooK

Permissions
When creating an administrator, you can specify exactly what they will be allowed to do by selecting various permissions, such as the ability to manage add-ons and ban users.
Administrators start off with no permissions checked, to encourage you to be selective, but if you want to allow your new administrator to perform all available duties, there is a Quick check all control that will allow you to select all the options with a single click.
The various administrator permissions available to grant are generally self-explanatory in nature.

L

LooK

Revoking Administrator Privileges
You may revoke administrator privileges from a user at any point by hitting the Delete button next to their name on the Administrators list.
Revoking administrator privileges will delete the administrator record from the database and remove the user from any user groups to which they have been assigned through the administrator record.
The user record is left intact.

All Done

Nooby

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think this is answering my question, i want to know how to give the user permission to post in a locked forum, i want a step by step instruction, I've been through all this before.

L

LooK

I don't think this is answering my question, i want to know how to give the user permission to post in a locked forum, i want a step by step instruction, I've been through all this before.
Set the node as private and explicitly allow access to the user groups and users you wish.
The View node permission is the only one you need to Allow

Nooby

Registered
Reaction score
Incorrect, still doesn't want to work, could this be conflicting with other permissions set by the groups themselves? or the user having the perm itself.

M

MiRacLE

Hey NulledTeam i am having a few problems with permissions, I ain't familiar with how to use them. I can't post threads in say announcements forum,i have to go to my ACP and enable messages to be posted can i have an in-depth tutorial on how to fix this :)

~ Nooby
Type analyze in search of xenforo admin cp , then u will find permission analyzer , just anylaze the permission for that specific node as per the member or usergroup and set the permission correctly

Nooby

Registered
Reaction score
All permissions are set to yes, i don't know the problem here?

L

LooK

All permissions are set to yes, i don't know the problem here?
VmU2q6t (2).png

So, I've read multiple helpful guides on permissions, as well as the official XF docs, and I feel/felt like I finally understood how to do things. But still having sketchy results getting a moderator group to see a private subforum or use functionality.
If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, I'd really appreciate any tips.
Registered usergroup
The moderators have their default group set to this one. Here's the relevant permissions for the registered usergroup:

also double checked that the moderators have 'registered' set as their primary usergroup. They do. Also, none of these users are explicitly set as "moderator" on the private forum on an individual basis, so it's not that I accidentally gave them 'revoke' permissions on that level.
Is there something crucial that I'm missing here? I had hoped that because of the additive properties for usergroups, that I could do something as simple as 'view node' for mod groups and potentially add on stronger capabilities as needed (like the ability to delete threads in the mod forum). But they aren't able to do basic user capabilities like making new threads.
Note that we did a big import from VB 3, so for all I know there's some other insidious setting on the node/user/I don't know level that I'm missing. At the moment I'm trying to clean up the migration carnage and do things the right way.

Nooby

Registered
Reaction score
i have spent a good hour re-reading the information you guys have given me, and may have resolved this, thank you for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.